I went to Asheville for the first time a few weeks ago and it was beautiful! Asheville is a short 3 hour drive from the city, making it the perfect place for a weekend getaway! The city has something for everyone! Breweries, hiking, history, shopping and food….lots of food. Below are some of my recommendations if you are planning on visiting Asheville!
First things first, drinks!
Asheville has a great beer scene. There is a brewery on every corner – not really, but it felt that way! I went to Wicked Weed and the Funkatorium.
- Wicked Weed has a variety of beers, from sours, to stouts, to IPAs – they have it all! Recommendation: Pernicious IPA.
- Funkatorium is exactly how it sounds – a brewery with funky beers! The menu is mostly sour beers, but there are other options as well! Recommendation: Get a flight! I got the Flight 4.
- Antidote was the highlight of the trip in my opinion. It is a beautiful cocktail lounge right down the street from the Funkatorium. It has a cozy, quiet atmosphere with 3 levels, including a rooftop bar with a fireplace! Recommendation: Punch of the Day or red wine!
Next up, Food!
One of the best parts of traveling is trying new restaurants! Asheville is packed with restaurants and dessert bars. Below are some of my favorites!
- Double D’s Coffee and Desserts: A double decker bus that sells coffee and desserts! Grab your treats and head to the top to enjoy them with a view! Recommendation: Go at sunset!
- Chestnut has a great brunch menu and is reasonably priced! Recommendation: Get the donuts as your starter.
- Packs Tavern: Amazing burgers and wine deals in the heart of downtown! Recommendation: put your name/phone number on the wait list and walk around downtown until your table is ready.
- French Broad Chocolate Lounge: OMG if you guys could just smell this place! We went around 8pm and there was a line to get in, but it was worth the wait! Recommendation: A slice of cake and a latte. I typically don’t drink coffee past 9am, but love having a coffee with dessert while on vacation.
- Biscuit Head: You can’t go on a trip to the south and not eat a biscuit! Recommendation: Show up within an hour of the opening time because the line gets long and the restaurant has very limited seating. Also, try the pulled pork biscuit! Doesn’t get more southern than that!
Things to do:
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoy the beautiful scenery
- Hike in the mountains
- Visit the Biltmore for a tour and complimentary wine tasting
- Shop in downtown Asheville